May 2017 be a happy and healthy year for you and yours. Many people choose January as an opportunity to make a fresh start… a time to commit anew to healthy lifestyle goals. If you’re among this group, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Set realistic goals – things you know that with some hard work and dedication you can actually achieve. Focus on goals that will have a positive impact on your life.
- Develop an action plan that outlines the steps you will take to achieve your goal.
- Share your resolution: Tell friends and family about your resolutions and ask for their support in helping you achieve them.
With your goals and a plan to achieve them in place, motivation becomes critical. If becoming more active is your primary goal, my tips below will motivate you to get started and help you stay on track:
- Make a commitment to fitness and health and write it down (it’s a contract you have with yourself). Review it often and remind yourself why your goals are important to you.
- Participate in activities you enjoy and you’ll be much more likely to stick with them over time. May we suggest Nordic walking? It’s a budget-friendly, full-body workout you can enjoy in every season.
- Exercise on your own or with others – if working out with a friend is more motivating and fun, do it. If you prefer exercising on your own schedule and enjoy your own company, that’s fine too.
- As the seasons change, be open to trying new activities. Walking, perhaps the best activity of all, is something to be enjoyed in every season. Try using your Nordic walking poles while snowshoeing… so much fun!
- Create a catch phrase or word that you can repeat to yourself when you’re in danger of being sidetracked. How about “I am strong!” or “Getting healthy, one step at a time!”
- Practice mental imagery. Picture yourself being active, following through on your commitment to a healthier lifestyle, overcoming set-backs, and achieving your goals.
- Have a tough attitude. Don’t wonder if you can actually reach your goals. Believe you can!
- Identify self-defeating thoughts, behaviours and patterns to counter and overcome them.
There will be missed workouts and some that don’t go as planned. Simply let them go and focus on what’s yet to come — a healthier, happier, more active YOU!