To find out about the latest news on our education events & current research, we have launched the New ACTIVATOR Education Bulletin which will be posted bi-annually. Check out our exciting line up of webinars and new courses for the Spring 2017.
Active Living webinars
These free 45-minute webinars feature guest speakers on the use of ACTIVATOR™ Poles (specialized Nordic walking poles) for rehab.
Upcoming webinars – register on urbanpoling.com under Education. You will automatically receive the recorded webinar if you register & are unable to attend.
- Active Living for Stroke Rehabilitation – Date & Time: Wed, March 29 9 am PST
- Active Living for Primary Health Care – Date & Time: Thurs, April 20th 9 am PS
Recorded webinars – access from urbanpoling.com under Education
- Active Living with Parkinson’s with Dr. Becky Farley, PhD (PT), PWR
- Active Rehab for Pre & Post Hip/Knee Surgery with Dr. Daniel Bechard (PhD)
- Active Living for Cancer Rehab with Judy Boivin, PT, Clinical Lead for Cancer Rehab (LifeMark)
- Active Living with Spinal Stenosis with Hilary Jebson, PT Acute Spinal Unit
- Active Rehab for Traumatic Spinal Injuries with Kristina Ploude, PT Toronto Rehab Centre
- Active Living with Arthritis with Peter Vavougios, PT (French)
COURSES register on urbanpoling.com under Education
ACTIVATOR Online Course (2017 edition) – $99.00 includes ACTIVATOR poles (Reg. 189.99) with coupon code MAR2017 (expires Mar 31, 2017). This course is loaded with videos, case studies and exercises for sitting, standing and pre-gait.
New- Be Balanced Online Course – $30
Physiotherapy exercises with the ACTIVATOR™ Poles based on a multidimensional approach addressing the following areas: flexibility, strength and endurance, centre of gravity control training, multi-sensory training, postural strategy training and gait pattern enhancement training. Presenter: Cathy McNorgan, PT
There are 6 Canadian studies specifically using the ACTIVATOR™ Poles & 200 studies listed on PubMed on walking poles.
In a study of older adults using Activator poles – There was a significant change in the following tests: Timed Up and Go, Stride Length, and Single Leg Stork Stand, which are all indicators for falls risk. Gwynn-Brett & Hudec, 2017 (ongoing study) Cape Breton University. Visit urbanpoling.com under Health & Research for the newest studies on Parkinson’s, back pain, older adults, OA knee joint & more.
Physiopedia: Get patients outdoors again with the Activator Poles
I have trialled Activator walking poles with several patients, and the results are pleasing.
Review post by: Wendy Walker, neurological physiotherapist in the UK
ACTIVATOR™ Poles & Technique
Available online and at select Shoppers Home Health Care, Pharmasave, IDA, Guardian, Rexall, Motion Specialties and independent stores across Canada. Visit urbanpoling.com under Find A Retailer to find the closest store.
–videos available on urbanpoling.com under Getting Started
Urban Poling is proud partners with these organizations.