10 Ways to Meet your Fitness Goals with Urban Poles!
April 21, 2015 | By Nadia
Need some motivation to be the healthiest you can be? Need a quick and fun way to workout 90% of the muscles in your body?
Here’s ten suggestions to get you back on the track to health and fitness goals, courtesy of your Urban Poles!
- Start Now. There’s never a better time than the present to make health a priority. Urban Poling is the perfect activity to bust through your exercise excuses! It’s free, convenient, burns more calories than walking while reducing impact off your hips and knees and best of all it is fun!
- Sign a contract. Sign up for a realistic schedule or contract. Start small and slowly increase the number of minutes and the number of days you walk with your Urban Poles each week.
- Form a pack. Gather a friend or a partner to join you. Find a time that works. Gather the gang together and go.
- Support a Cause. Challenge yourself with a 5 or 10 k walk/run event. Not only are you committed to training for this event but you may be supporting a local community event or great cause.
- Have poles will travel. If your poles are in the trunk of the car, you can take them out for a walk when you’ve got a few minutes. Break them out when kids are at dance lessons, or you’re waiting for your elderly neighbour at the doctor’s office.
- Go back to school. Sign up for an Urban Poling class. You’ll commit to walking and you’ll meet new people to explore your city with.
- Take an Urban Poling Break. Ask your friend or spouse if they want to go for poling instead of meeting for a coffee or a drink. You’ll be rewarded with more energy, less calories and few extra bucks in your pocket.
- Be kind to yourself. If you miss one session or don’t meet your goals for this week or month, just restart. On your journey to better health, any increase in your physical fitness is going to make a difference in how you feel AND how you look.
- Press the OFF button. After work or dinner don’t automatically turn on your TV or pick up the cell phone. Instead pick up you poles and head into the great outdoors!
- Celebrate the Big 3-0. Health Canada recommends 30 minutes of brisk walking. If you can’t do 30 all at once, break it up into 10 or 15 minute chunks.
Walking with poles can help reduce fatigue during and after cancer treatment and has proven beneficial to those in breast cancer rehab. To read more about the research that supports the benefits of Nordic walking for cancer patients, visit the Your Health section of our website.