LIVE VIRTUAL ACTIVATOR COURSE for Parkinson’s (CCU approved)
– An active & innovative rehab approach for improving outcomes for balance and all aspects of gait (speed, tolerance, pattern) for clients with Parkinson’s. A great option for telehealth sessions and your client staying active during COVID.
– Learn about the evidence-based ACTIVATOR® Program prescribed as best practices for neuro rehabilitation in Canada, UK and IR. Improved outcomes for your clients include: normalizing gait to reduce shuffling and dysfunctional gait patterns, improving balance to help minimize the risk of falls and promoting active living. Course includes a series of dynamic seated and standing exercises that can be used for individual, group and telehealth sessions. Find out how to use the patented ACTIVATOR® poles as an effective option to delay or reduce the use of passive mobility devices such as canes and walkers (under the direction of a therapist). Guest Speaker: Physical therapist Kerri Tuttle, PT, DPT, MTC, KTCC (USA) and Sunhan Anderson from One Step Mobility (CAD). Will include videos of PWR! exercises by Dr. Becky Farley, Founder of PWR!
Course participants will:
- Understand research based on 10 ACTIVATOR® pole studies & 300 studies on Nordic walking (PubMed).
- Perform the Urban Poling/Nordic walking technique for early stages of PD to increasing exercise intensity to reach 80% of maximum heart rate.
- Perform ACTIVATOR® technique for later stages where balance is the primary focus.
- Discover an effective alternative to traditional passive mobility devices and guidelines for use (canes and walkers).
- Perform a series of dynamic exercises to use with your clients. Learn the proper technique and guidelines for adapted seated, standing and gait exercises with poles for individual, group and telehealth exercise programs.
- Understand contraindications for use of poles for rehab.
- Differentiate your practice and services through this unique and new program in the USA and acquire new clients by leveraging this phenomenal form of fitness and active rehabilitation. Learn how to increase your revenue through this effective program! Professional/special pricing for poles available for rehab professionals.
- Receive a certificate for 3 CCUs. This course is approved by ProCert with Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy (SBPT) , American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and Functional Aging Institute (FAI).
Date: Wednesday August 12 at 4 pm to 7:30 pm PST (6 pm to 9:30 CT & 7 pm to 10:30 EST)
Presenter: Mandy Shintani, reg. OT (BC) & gerontologist (CAN)
Developer of the evidence-based ACTIVATOR poles and program
Guest Speakers: Dr. Kerri Tuttle, PT, DPT, MTC, KTCC (USA) and Dr. Sunhan Anderson, DPT, BSc, Registered Neurologic & Orthopedic Therapist, PWR! (CAD)
Cost: $ 49.99 + plus receive professional pricing for rehab/fitness professionals at 25% off on ACTIVATOR poles. 3 CCU approved course
reg OT (BC) & gerontologist
Vancouver, BC Canada
Mandy Shintani, has been an occupational therapist for 30+ years and is a gerontologist. Fifteen years ago, with her skills as an OT, she developed the evidence-based Activator Poles (patented) and technique specifically for rehabilitation, which are the focus of 10 current studies. She is an international conference speaker on Nordic walking/urban poling for rehabilitation and fitness. Research on the Activator poles have been the focus of international presentations/posters including; International Stroke Congress, Canadian & UK National Physical Therapy Association Conference, International 200 years of Parkinson’s Disease in Australia, ACPIN Neuro conference (UK) and twice at the National Fall Prevention conference (Canada)
5,500+ therapists and wellness professionals in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland and recently in the USA have completed the courses she developed for fitness and rehabilitation. She has been featured numerous times in national media and was a finalist in the prestigious YWCA Women of Distinction Award for Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
Kerri Tuttle has been a physical therapist since 2008. She is currently providing outpatient physical therapy at Athletico Physical Therapy in AZ and specializes in Parkinson’s rehabilitation. She is certified with PWR! and treats orthopedic issues in combination with Parkinson’s as well as being trained in chronic pain with Pain Neuroscience Education. She also received the national Physical Therapist Hero of the Year award from BAYADA Home Health Care, for exemplifying the highest standards of care
PT, DTP, MTC. KTCC (AZ, USA)
Tuscon, AZ USA