Urban Poling (Nordic Walking) Instructor Course
Urban Poling welcomes you to become a part of our ever-growing team of instructors.
Urban Poling Inc. has proudly trained over 4,000 instructors in Canada for the past 14 years and in the last two years in the UK, Ireland, Australia and USA.
The Urban Poling Instructor Course is a comprehensive course (offered both live and online) that teaches course participants the practical skills of Nordic walking and how to teach Nordic walking to others.
You will learn everything you need to know about the Urban Poling Nordic walking technique and be provided with all the materials, tools and support you require to provide one-on-one sessions, group classes and educational demonstrations.
Topics covered include:
- The Urban Poling Nordic walking technique
- How to teach the Urban Poling Nordic walking technique
- Correcting poor technique
- Warm-ups, cool-downs, high-intensity exercises and muscle conditioning
- An introduction to the ACTIVATOR poles and walking technique
- Starting a series of classes
- Starting your business
- and more
This course is ideal for: group exercise instructors, personal trainers, recreation/wellness directors, diabetes educators, health care professionals, teachers, walking/hiking group leaders, and aspiring small business owners.
I found the course very informative and comprehensive, and the instructor was excellent. She made the course fun and interesting. I have been to a lot of courses and this one was one of the best. Nordic walking truly does give a great workout!
– Kristine, Waterloo, Ontario
The best prepared and supported online course, I have ever taken.
– Margaret Parsons, Ontario
- 1 pair of Urban Poles (reg. 99.99)
- Wholesale pricing on poles and accessories
- Monthly instructor newsletter
- Certificate for Continuing Education Credits (CECs) from 9 associations; canfitpro (2 for course + 4 for practicum), Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging (CCAA), Ontario Fitness Council (OFC) (4), British Columbia Recreation & Parks Association (BCRPA) (4), Saskatchewan Parks & Recreation Association (SPRA) (4), Manitoba Fitness Council (MFC) (3), Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) (3) Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) & YMCA/YWCA upon request.
- The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that “Urban Poling Inc.” meets the criteria ACSM Approved Provider status from (2019 – December 2022). Approved Providers and their content reflect the concepts of their respective organizations and do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of ACSM. Provider-ship # 843871.
- ACSM approved provider-ship of this program does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organization’s products/services.
Cost: 269.99 (online and live courses). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for student rates and onsite group training.
Time Required: This is a 2.5 to 4 hour course. The online course can be completed on your own timeline. You will receive a link via email along with a special password to view the course on your computer. Course chapters consist of videos and PowerPoint Presentations with audio.Online & Live Registration
▼ Live Course Dates
|City, Province||Date||Location and registration details||Instructor|
|Grande Prairie, AB||
Sat. June 1, 2019
10 am – 2:30 pm
The Community Village, Building C, Boardroom #109
Sunday, June 2, 2019,
12 pm-4 pm
River Grove Community Centre, 5800 River Grove Ave, Mississauga, ON
Excerpt from the Instructor Online Course:
Presentor Bio – Barb Gormely
Barb Gormley is a dynamic and renowned Canadian personal trainer, health and fitness writer and has been an Urban Poling Master Trainer for 13 years. As Urban Poling’s Director of Education, she produces the company’s fitness educational materials. Barb is the author of the book, Urban Poling Ultimate Guide to Nordic walking and has written numerous national magazine articles on the benefits of Urban Poling. Barb has been featured on the CBC, Toronto Sun and Globe and Mail.
Note: Participants should only use this knowledge to work within their professional boundaries as determined by their association and college
Cancellation Policy/Refund Policy: Course participants can expect a full refund (minus the $25 registration fee) up to one week prior to the course. Cancellations up to 48 hours prior to the course will receive 75% of the registration fee. With less than 48 hours notice, 50% of the registration fee will be returned.
When walking on snow covered surfaces, remove the rubber tips to expose the carbide tip which will provide better traction. Add snow baskets to prevent the poles from sinking deep into the snow.
– Mandy Shintani, OT
Tips from the Best